If you are looking for one of the healthiest breakfasts around, then Coconut & Turmeric Steel Cut Oats Porridge is perfect for you. The ingredients in this porridge recipe are not only delicious but also very nutritious. It has turmeric for inflammation, coconut for digestion, cinnamon for blood circulation, and honey for the skin – this recipe really has it all!
Having steel cut oats in the mornings is really one of the best ways to start your day. Oats have many health benefits including increased energy, improved brain function, they are high in fiber, normalize blood pressure, contain antioxidants, and are full of minerals and vitamins.
This recipe is more like a dessert and is a sunny way to start or end your day. The turmeric brightens up the pot with its deep yellow color, while the aroma of coconut and cinnamon will have the whole household coming over the see what you are cooking. The oats are first toasted in coconut oil and then slowly cooked in almond milk and water to create a pudding-like texture.
You might feel a little bit apprehensive about adding turmeric to your porridge but have no fear. This root has been at the forefront of Asian cuisine and medicine for years. Turmeric is not just an ingredient added to Asian curries. It is part of the ginger family and has been used as a natural medicine across Asia for hundreds of years for good reason.: https://www.drlam.com/articles/adrenal_fatigue.asp It is a food powerhouse, packed with antioxidants and cancer-fighting properties. In addition, it gives everything a golden, summer color, which is very inviting, just like in this Coconut & Turmeric Steel Cut Oats Porridge Recipe.
The Health Benefits of Turmeric
Turmeric, with its many health benefits, has been used across Asia for its medicinal properties. Here are some of the benefits of turmeric:
- Relieves arthritic pain as well as other common pains like headaches.
- May help regulate menstruation and reduce period pain.
- May aid digestion.
- May improve liver health and function.
- Has anti-inflammatory properties.
- May boost the immune system.
- May fight skin infections and inflammations.
- May fight free radicals and prevent cancer.
- May relieve stress and adrenal fatigue symptoms.
If you have any health concerns, consult a doctor before taking turmeric. The University of Maryland Medical Center has created a turmeric dosing guideline with recommended daily turmeric doses:
- Cut root: 1.5 to 3 g per day
- Dried, powdered root: 1 to 3 g per day
- Standardized powder (curcumin): 400 to 600 mg, three times per day
- Fluid extract: (1:1) 30 to 90 drops a day
- Tincture: (1:2) 15 to 30 drops, four times per day
Potential Drawbacks of Turmeric
There is no doubt that turmeric is a superfood and that it has many amazing health benefits for the body. Please familiarize yourself with the following before taking turmeric:
- Do not take turmeric if you have gallbladder problems as it may worsen the symptoms.
- Use turmeric with caution if you are diabetic and consult your doctor because it could cause your blood sugar levels to become too low.
- You should not take turmeric if pregnant. There is the possibility that spicy curry can bring on labor due to the presence of turmeric in the ingredients.
- Research shows that turmeric may act as a blood thinner and may cause easier bleeding. It is therefore not advisable to take turmeric in large doses if on blood thinning medications.
- Although turmeric can aid in digestion, too much of it may cause stomach pain or cramps.
- It is not advisable to give turmeric as mediation to children.
- Consult your doctor if you have further questions.
The Coconut & Turmeric Steel Cut Oats Porridge Recipe
Now it’s time for you to make your own delicious Coconut & Turmeric Steel Cut Oats Porridge. This recipe has a 5-minute prep time and a 25-minute cooking time. It is vegan-friendly, sugar-free, lactose-free, and gluten-free.
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 cup almond or soy milk
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 tbsp grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp honey
- Sliced strawberries
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- Using a medium-size saucepan, heat the coconut oil over a medium heat.
- Add the steel cut oats and cook for about 2 minutes or until you can smell the coconut oats mixture.
- Add all Ingredients B and mix well.
- Once boiling, reduce the flame to medium-low.
- Continue to stir the oats for about 10 minutes.
- Add all Ingredients C and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Cook for longer if you want very soft oats or for a shorter time if you want crunchy oats.
- There might be some extra liquid in the saucepan. The oats keep absorbing liquid while the porridge rests. Cook for a few minutes longer or let it cool for 10-15 minutes to thicken.
- Sprinkle your Coconut & Turmeric Steel Cut Oats Porridge with any (or all) of the ingredients under the “Toppings” list.
- Serve warm or cold.
- Keeps in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
What is Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome?
Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome, or AFS, occurs when the adrenal glands are not functioning properly. This is usually due to some form of stress. The adrenal glands begin to produce less cortisol and aldosterone, key players in fighting stress and producing adrenaline. Sufferers may experience fatigue-like symptoms.
According to research, those who suffer from depression, insomnia, lethargy, chronic illness, and even nervousness, usually also suffer from Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome (AFS).
What is the NEM Stress Response?
Stress is a huge problem in society today. It causes many of the health problems people commonly experience. The way in which the body responds to stress may often determine your overall health. : The NeuroEndoMetabolic (NEM) Stress Response your body’s automatic way of responding to stress.
When under stress, the adrenal glands, as part of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis, release cortisol, the fight-or-flight hormone in an effort to help you cope. Under normal circumstances, the cortisol production returns to normal once the stressor, i.e. the cause of the stress, passes. When stress is prolonged, on the other hand, higher cortisol production persists, and may even increase. This automatic response (NEM stress response) and the accompanying increase in cortisol production, when prolonged, may have debilitating results.
Adrenal Fatigue and Turmeric
A daily bowl of Coconut & Turmeric Steel Cut Oats Porridge, as part of a balanced diet, may help to relieve adrenal fatigue symptoms. Eating turmeric as well as many of the other ingredients in the recipe is good for your overall health. These ingredients are packed with nutrients, vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and antioxidants. The best way to fight stress is by reducing the stress around us, but the second best way is by staying healthy through eating nutritious meals and drinking lots of water.
Have you put the saucepan on the stove yet? Well, if you want to receive all the amazing health benefits that go along with this recipe, then start cooking this delicious Coconut & Turmeric Steel Cut Oats Porridge. Don’t forget to add the turmeric, because turmeric is a healthy and natural way to help restore your stress levels and improve your overall health. If you suffer from adrenal fatigue or stress, you should definitely try turmeric as a way to fight this condition. Just remember to consult your doctor first! Article Source